7.15.2010

Tonight, as I read our bedtime Bible stories, I asked the kids, "what can we be thankful for today?"  It was quite the formative day at the African Lion Safari.  As we talked about the Baboons, the elephants, lions, I wondered how we could steer the conversation toward a spiritual one.  I wanted something more than, "let's thank God for the lions, elephants, monkeys..."  although that is a very fine way to see how God is a part of things.  I wanted it to go deeper, for my own sake.

In my opinion, the elephants made the deepest impression on our family.  Even though Elijah found the monkeys funny and Hannah love the water park, noteworthy experiences, I wanted to take it further.

Nana and I had marveled that Elijah actually followed through for the elephant ride.  A few days ago, he refused to go on most rides at the Festival Italiano.  So I anticipated that he would balk at the opportunity last minute. When it was their turn I watched from below, Hannah climbed on first, then Graham in front of her, then to my surprise Elijah was lifted and placed right in front of Graham, without any reservation.

In our discussion, I asked them, "do you think you would have gone on the elephant if you hadn't seen the show before?"  The elephant show was spectacular.  We saw three elephants do all kinds of tricks like lie down, play basket ball, paint, all demonstrating just how responsive and obedient they were to the trainers. It evoked all kinds of warm fuzzies that I experienced when I made friends with a baby elephant in Thailand.  These elephants are so endearing.

Recalling what I learned from a great talk on Gospel Centered Parenting I went on... "What can you learn from the elephants in how they were with their trainers?" I asked.  And of course, with H & E's age this is an appropriate leading question.  "Do you think the elephant show would have been as interesting if the elephants didn't obey their trainers? It might have been funny for a little bit but then it wouldn't be so amazing would it?"  Somehow, I transitioned to how it's attractive when kids obey parents.  When I get to this point in a discussion, there is a part of me that wonders, "am I really getting through?"

As we closed in prayer, Hannah prayed, "Dear God, help us to obey Mommy and Daddy just like the elephants obey their trainers."  Wow!  Bingo!  Amazing!  And Elijah's prayer was from his heart.  "Dear God, thank you for making moneys so funny!"  Amen to that too, because it reflects what he appreciates in life--humour.  Elijah was also obviously paying attention when I pointed out that God has a sense of humour making some monkeys have pink bums.  What a hoot!

And with that, I experienced God's presence in that conversation, leading us.  Thank you Lord that H & E are attuned to your voice.  This, I cannot force happen, it is of You!

No comments: