9.03.2010

One Child policy

Somehow we were talking about China at supper.  And somehow I mentioned that I grew up in China.  Then Elijah piped in with much puzzlement, "But how did you have 2 kids?" ... "I thought people can have only 1 kid in China?"  Ah, my son is asking me about the one child policy and how my sister and I were two and living in China.  Although I did clarify that we were actually both born in Canada, there was further discussion about the one child policy in China.  Wow, that's amazing!  That we just had a discussion with our 4 and 6 year old about the one child policy in China.  


I realize that the kids do pay attention to the things we teach them.  I paraphrased an email I read one morning from a good friend who visited an orphanage in China.  Here's an excerpt, "There was this girl, 14 but, probably the same height as your Hannah, Jen.  She was so sweet.   Her legs have something wrong with her....  it is sad that the one child policy has ruined a culture.  I mean, sin has ruined it.  But, the one child policy has perpetuated the perfectness and its hard for these parents to choose to have a NON perfect kid, when the world says different."  


I explained this concept to the kids and they have taken note.  In hindsight, I realize just how precious these moments are.  I'm thankful they are so curious and I'm thankful for the discernment from the Lord to teach them in these kinds of moments.  I'm so proud of them that they are so inquisitive.  I pray I keep in tuned with the Spirit and with them to teach and and lead them to have sharp minds and sensitive hearts.  

No comments: