8.23.2011

Cheerleading Pom-pon Success

After she participated in a Kids' Triathalon, Hannah wanted to have "racing" as her birthday theme.  I take that over princesses!

I scoured the online resources for ideas.  I stumbled upon a bike streamers craft. This then inspired me to change things up and we made pom poms for the party and it was a huge success!  It took up a good 45 minutes!!  So here's my first post on making stuff!

Cheerleading Pom-pon craft 

Acquire 8 to 10 leis. (I purchased ours from the dollar store).


 Tools needed: 1. scissors;  2. plastic ties (also found at dollar store or hardware store), 3. chair or railing with spindles.


Cut the string/ wire that holds each lei together. 

 Tip, find the knot and cut there, it unravels easier. 

 Unravel 

 Unravel

 So much fun unravelling.

 Lots of unravelling to do! 

Gather 2 sets of matching colours of lei streamers. Start with one set and wrap around spindles of the chair at 10 inches apart. 

 The streamers are long, so it's important to make sure you keep them free of knots.


  Almost finished.

  Use a plastic tie to secure the middle.  Make it tight enough to gather the streamers, but leave it slightly loose so that you can still adjust the lengths after the next step.


Because the streamers are so tight, it's hard to cut at the very end.  So I cut one end between the first two spindles.  Where I cut at the back of the chair on one end, I cut at the front of the chair at the other.  (you can see in the next picture what I mean)

 The two strands are different lengths because of how I cut the ends.  

Pull the ends to make them all match.  Then tighten plastic tie.  Shake it out... a

Tada! 


1 comment:

V said...

Yay! I love it! And I love the last picture. SO cute. :)