10.01.2011

Don't get in the way!

The kids and I were talking about 30 years down the road. Papa would be 100 years old. They would be 35 and 37, about Daddy and I's age. And they would probably have a couple of kids like us now.

Hannah said, "I want to have 18 children, adopted."

My response was a sort of, but not so much a ('now, now, you are such a silly girl'), as I told her about the Duggar family with their show 18 Kids and Counting.  That was that.

A few hours later, through twitter I followed a trail via myadoptionstory.com and found Katie's story. She is 21 years-old and is a mother to 14 children in Uganda. Now reading about a 21 year-old with 14 adopted children is amazing. But once I read about her faith, I am speechless and at the brink of tears. Once I watch the video the dam breaks and Graham comforts me as I palm away handfuls of tears.


And this is me, while I am being overwhelmed with emotion, I'm asking myself: "What is it about this story, about Katie that moves me so much?"

I couldn't go to bed with a "now that was a good cry." This is a moment in time that I will look back on and recognize as something significant. For now, I will conclude with what I think has moved me:

I am amazed at her utter simple faith. God whispers and she listens. She fears not, she extends God's love. She doesn't ask the "but..." "what if..." She just does it.

I remember where I was when I was 16. I was lost. That's my story. But at 21, saved by Jesus, I was thinking about boys, not orphans.

To me, even adopting ONE child is a hugely, insurmountable calling that has to be ordained by God. And here is a 21 year-old, with 14 of them! Clearly she has been called. But clearly she has obeyed!

I do not attempt to idealize her life. But she's 21 and her life is evidenced that she has overcome the obstacles!

Then I think of Hannah's dream, which she has repeated to me often, of adopting 18 children... it's possible.  Psalm 8:2 says that God has "ordained praise from the lips of children and infants." Who am I to stand in the way?!

Tomorrow, I will show her Katie's story. And I will trust God to give me faith when it comes time to let go of my little girl to somewhere far away to be the mother to 18 children.

No comments: