4.14.2006

Choosing a curriculum

I had inadvertently abandoned my complaining fast mid course. It was the day Graham and friends were heading out for the grand annual fundraiser dinner--the Fellowship Dinner. Somehow, trying countless times of latching and unlatching baby while everyone was heading out the door was just too much for me. And after countless feedings like it, I was flooded with despair. I placed Elijah safely on his back and went to curl up in my bed--I decided that he had colic.

Colic--more than 3 hours of crying for more than 3 days a week. Peaks at 6 weeks and ends at about 4 months of age.

Elijah exceeds that definition. And I was in denial of that at first. But now it's full acceptance. And I'm reminded of Amy Charmichael's often quoted line, "in acceptance lieth peace."

Interestingly, God speaks through Elisabeth once again. "Mercifully, God does not leave us to choose our own curriculum... God's curriculum for all who sincerely want to know Him and do His will will always include lessons we wish we could skip."

I can almost see it as I look at the "course calendar": -- "Baby with colic 101"--4 hours of crying per day, developing patience and trust in God's grace...

I would look at it and say, "any bird courses?" Unfortunately, there is no "Basket Weaving 101" in God's curriculum.

No comments: