With a 6 week old baby, I had little expectations for my birthday. Last year, I wanted to go big. And asked Graham to invite friends over for a small party (my definition of "going big"). It was fun. This year, I didn't think I had any expectations. But I found out I did. When the reality of having to hold the fort down on my own I realized I had some expectations for my birthday. It wasn't tangible. I realized I wanted a break from being a mom. Not possible with a six week old.
Holding the fort down meant trying to change two crying babies at the same time. I had to leave one safely on the change table while attending to the other telling me she had a "poo-poo" and wanted the potty. And of course, she still has yet to choose to leave a souvenier for the potty. She was crying and he was wailing. It was chaos. I felt like I had a right to silence from babies because it was my birthday. What a funny thought, "Elijah, it's Mama's birthday, so your present to Mama is not crying for the whole day, ok?" Right. So I got an attitude adjustment by mid-morning when I had a moment on my way to the doctor's office. Good thing, the day went much better once I got rid of my entitlement attitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment