Apparently the funniest thing Graham has heard this week came out of my mouth.
Context: While I don't really struggle with sleep too much, I always find it stressful to try to fall asleep before I hear the snoring, slow deep breaths coming from Graham's side of the bed. For me, it's like I have a competition going for who will fall asleep first, but I always lose. Inevitably, I don't have the skill to fall asleep really quickly unless I'm totally exhausted. And even if I am exhausted, at times, I'm so over tired and too stressed to fall asleep. So I've been working on embracing this difference that Graham is just more "skilled" and "gifted" and "blessed" in the area of sleep.
So today, he got up at 5:30am to get to an early appointment. And by 10pm he is falling asleep on the couch while I'm slaving away on our prayer letter. But I do give him credit for providing the content already, so it's just my turn to work hard at getting our letter out. He asks me if I would be hurt if he went to sleep right now. While it is our goal to hit the sack at the same time today is one of those days that I have resigned that there is no way I could win the race to fall asleep. So I said, "even if I raced up stairs and got there before you, somehow you'd manage to fall asleep snoring before me." So I was picturing me, dashing up the stairs and diving into bed only to find a snoring giant already there, fast asleep, dead as a log. And that was when Graham made his comment about it being funny.
So in reality, I stayed at my seat in front of the computer and watched Graham shuffle up the stairs and disappear into the silence.
1 comment:
I loved reading this post! Deb and I have the same problem - with Deb struggling to get to sleep before me. Hence, I staying up late blogging while she goes to sleep.
Post a Comment