3.24.2009

a child's perspective on mannequins

Yesterday when Elijah and I hit the mall we walked by the very prevalent mall feature-- mannequins. Being the social and curious guy that he is, he walked toward them, stared way up toward their heads would be and said, "Mama, why they got no heads?" I chuckled at this very innocent perspective. I remembered chuckling at the same remark about a year ago. I was sure I'd heard him ask the same question before. A chucked would have been suffice last year. But this time, my three-year-old was not satisfied with the chuckle. "Mommy, why they got no heads?" My attempted response was more of an identifying nature, something of the lines of, "That is really funny isn't it? They are a bit strange aren't they?" He was not satisfied with them either. With a very sweet (none of this sympathy stuff, would you please give me an proper answer) tone, "but why Mommy, why they got no heads?" And since I've thought this through before, I have no problem letting my children know that Mommy sometimes just hasn't a clue. "I don't know, sweety, I don't know why they don't have heads." I'm glad we aren't in the mall enough for him to just take it for granted that these strange people have no heads. Not to mention his comment that they are purple "po-po".

No comments: