8.04.2010

This seat is taken

Our travel was a huge success this year partially due to the 5 hour flight each way.  We had personal space secured via web check-in.  I booked us awesome seats, meaning getting extra seats for a family of 5.

I got this tip from our friend Gabe who is a savvy traveller.  The airline we flew has rows of 3+3 seats.  So if there are two people travelling together, you book window/aisle.

For our family of 5 with 4 purchased seats, the airline assigned seats for us filling three seats on one side and a single aisle seat in the same row.  To that, I say, "uh, I'd like those two extra seats for our family please."

This is the beauty of web check-in.  I changed our seats to window/aisle, and left the middle seat open.  I reason: who's gonna want to sit between a 4 year-old and his dad?  The sorry individual would either switch with you (for your better seat... anyone would trade a middle seat for an aisle seat or a window seat), or better yet, they would just switch to another middle seat where there are no children, and leave that middle seat open for you.

It helps if the plane is fairly empty, which you can check by the seat diagram.  It also helps if you plant yourself near the back of the plane.  And so we had two kids happily separated from each other to prevent any conflict, they have their own window seats.  Parents are happily in the aisle, enjoying space, and baby being passed about as she smiled, slumbered and slurped.

Ah, gotta love a good travel tip that reaps great dividends. And my dividend was some sanity and space!

No comments: