12.03.2010

Little guy big heart

Here are a series of conversations that give a glimpse in to my little guy's big heart to see people in heaven.

At school.
Elijah tells two older kids at his group that they should "believe in the One True God."  According to Elijah, one child, David was convinced by Elijah to believe in God.  The other child, Ben decided he does not.  Apparently, Ben also said that "his god is bigger than my God."  Later, at another re-telling of this same story, we find out that Ben also said, "his god is himself."  I often marvel at the profoundness of this conversation among kindergarteners.  Somewhere in there, Elijah also told his buddy Ben that he is going to hell because he doesn't believe in the One True God.  Meanwhile, as I listen to this story, I often wonder, where is the teacher?  What is she thinking about all this theological discussion!

At home.
Elijah recounts the story.  I ask him, "do you think telling him he is going to hell is going to make him want to believe in God?"
"No."
"How about you tell him something nice about believing in God.... like God loves him?"

Sometimes, I've wondered at the listening skills of my little guy.  Because I could be repeating his name, calling, tapping on his shoulder and he is often so engrossed in whatever he is doing, he doesn't quite "hear" me.  But this time, his listening ears were on.  And I didn't even realize how much he took my advice to heart.  The first thing he said upon returning home, "mom, I did what you said, I told Ben that God loves him."
"And what did he say?"
"He said God doesn't love him." Elijah was evidently sad, as his sentence slowed down and mouth turned downward while saying the words.

Weeks later... sitting at the top of the stairs... dilly-dallying before we all get dressed and start the day.

E: Ben believes in God now!
J: Oh really? How?
E: Me and David told him about God, so he believes in God now!
J: Wow, that's great!
E: Yeah, David is my helper and now Ben and David are both going to be my helpers and help me tell the rest of the class about God!

... wow, that kid!

I got up to go get dressed.  Hannah and Elijah are still on the landing.  The conversation continues.

E: Hannah, you should tell the kids in your class about God.
H: I'm shy about that.
E: You should tell them.
H: How do you do that?
E: You get a happy feeling when you tell them that God loves them and they should believe in the One True God.
H: What if they don't believe?
E: Then you should tell them something else nice about God.
H: What if they still don't believe in God?
E: Then you just keep telling them...

...
Tonight, as I tucked Elijah in bed. He said, I want people to know about God because I want them to go to heaven.  And when we get there, I'll show them around.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm feeling convicted by a 4 year old! How amazing!

Emily Morrice said...

me too!

Thanks Elijah.... You're making me want to be more bold :)