Have you ever had an experience where you got a torch lit under you? Metaphorically speaking? That just happened to me these last few days. I'm on fire!
Where do I start. I have been attending classes in my own city taught by a LA film school prof. And then sat under the tutelage of a pro-cinematographer. And now I'm on fire!
One reason I'm on fire, I realize that I see life in "story". The main point in film is telling a story: somebody wants something badly and goes after it against great odds. [now you got the summary of the first class].
This is how I see life in story. When I meet someone, I like to ask about their life. I like to ask about where they grew up. And then I ask how did their parents settle in that location. Where were they before that... and somehow, I string together a person's life story. And then I ask more details to fill in the gaps. I like to hear about how their parents overcame great odds, or how this person is going after something badly.
What's really cool is when I ask a question about where Grandma came from, or what was Dad's journey of faith, the individual realizes that they don't know. So they decide that as soon as they go home, they will find out. And somehow, in the process of talking about the great odds Mom, Dad, Grandma or Grandpa have come through, there is a light bulb that goes off. Then I help others see in an incredible journey.
I definitely see my own life in story. Now I'm fired up to want to write all this down. For many stories, my dad would be the main character. In fact, he's already been written about in a non-fiction. If you want to find him, read this.
And I know I have left a major question hanging... what does film school have to do with anything? ... stay tuned... and hopefully I remember to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment